Good morning, ROWers! How are you guys today? I’m FAB, actually. Had a super strong week and I’m really excited for this round. I’m trying to take it easy – not overstretching myself, but making sure I’m still getting a lot done. Just want to see what happens when I make my goals simple and easy to obtain. So far it’s working out pretty well!
- Write or edit every day. 7/7 I wrote all seven days, and actually edited on two of them as well. The editing is…not going well. I’m feeling a strong need to rewrite some major points in the story and, well, that’s giving me the jitters. I kind of don’t even want to open my document right now. The writing is going well, as I’m over 25K words into this new story I’m putting together. The problem is that it’s a bit of a free-write. The writing is fairly atrocious (and that’s probably putting it mildly), though I’m still having fun with it. It’s going to need a major overhaul once I’m done, but finishing it is going to be a huge accomplishment. Even if it needs a rewrite, at least I’ll be able to highlight the parts that work and the parts that don’t.
- Read every day. 7/7 I’ve been trying to do at least a chapter a night, which can be hard when I don’t fall into bed until 11 and have to get up at 6:30. (I’m one of those people that needs an obscene amount of sleep to feel refreshed.) For the most part I did do a chapter a night, and it’s been nice to really get into a book again. I’m reading Divergent, and I’m absolutely in love with it so far. The story is good, and the writing is really great. I’m definitely mentally taking notes from this one!
- Exercise twice a week. 3/2 That’s no mistake – I actually did exercise three times this week! I’ve been getting into Just Dance 4 a lot more lately, and dug out the DVD for Hip Hop Abs. Regular workouts just don’t work for me, but give me some music and a few dance steps, and I get pumped! It’s nice to enjoy exercising again, and hopefully this DVD will give me more than just the cardio workout JD4 does. My legs are super sore today, so I think it’s working! I’m also working on getting the junk food out of the house and getting some good fruits and veggies in the fridge. My weight went up again, and my pants feel tighter, which is never a good sign. Here’s to taking this more seriously again!
- Finish edits on chapters five and six of L1. I’ve been working on chapter 5 this past week, but as I said above, I’m sort of avoiding it now. I need to just sit down and think out what I want to change and what needs to change for the sake of the story.
- Continue writing W1. This is going well! As I said, I’m over 25K words on this right now. I’ve been writing nearly 1,000+ words a day, which has been very helpful in moving the story along. I’m closing in on the last act of the story, and I suspect it’ll probably end somewhere around the 30-35K mark. Once I do a rewrite of this, I expect it to expand dramatically, but I’m happy with this size for now.
- Update my contests doc. This desperately needs to be done, and I really want to make sure I do it before next week’s check-in. Someone hold me to it!
List of Awesome
- After some technical difficulties with our last episode (which we didn’t end up releasing, that’s how bad it was), we recorded episode #13 of Onceable, talking about Once Upon a Time’s “The Cricket Game” episode. Fun stuff!
- Went shopping using my gift cards from Christmas and got a whole bunch of stuff! New purse (really needed that), more books (really didn’t need those), and another movie (really, really didn’t need that – but it was Inception and it was only $4!)
- Got Google Verified, which means that if you look up an article that I’ve written for Hypable, my picture will (sometimes?) appear next to it! Very cool!! Try this one to check it out. (You may have to log out of your Google account if it doesn’t show up. I know I can’t see my own if I’m logged in – weird!)
- One of my best friends, Nicole, started her very own blog! She writes a lot of poetry and is a total music nerd. Go follow her! I’ve known this girl for practically my whole life. I promise she’s awesome. :)
Points and Words
Okay, new points system: Each of my main goals gets FIVE POINTS. Bonus goals get TEN POINTS if they’re completed. The whole one point thing last round wasn’t really worth it, since they were usually bigger goals. So, this week I’ve gotten:
- Week 1 – 95 points
Great start to the round!!
This week I wrote:
- Week 1 – 8,284 words
That brings my total words for the year up to: 17,107 words written since January 1, 2013
What’s on YOUR List of Awesome this week? How are your writing goals going? Do you like to keep track of your words, or would you rather just pay attention to the quality and not worry about the quantity?